What is XGED?
XGED is a document management application, built to simplify the daily tasks of your users. Inspired by SharePoint, XGED provides similar functionalities in a more user friendly and simplified way. It provides multiple modules such as:
- Organisation of your files in Areas and folders.
- Ability to structure your sub areas and folders.
- Permissions inheritance and unique permissions models.
- Version history (tracking of all the versions), with the ability to view and restore older versions.
- Notification module for new version, deletion and restoration of previous versions.
- Logging of different actions (view, upload, delete, restore …etc.)
- Quick and simple search …etc.
Your files are saved locally or in a network share, in a very organized way, i.e:
- Each area has a dedicated folder (A_XX)
- Folders are created in each area and are all named (F_XX)
- Your files are uploaded into folders and all the previous version are saved under the same name with a unique identifier.
- All the deleted areas, folders and files are prefixed with [Deleted] and can be easily restored.
- The files structure and metadata are saved in the back end SQL Server DB.
- The separation of actual files and metadata, allows an easy backup, restore and DR strategy.
The solution was built using mainly Microsoft technologies. Being a web application, we used the following technologies:
- ASP.net & C#: For the core back end
- SQL Server : for the backend
- Entity Framework 6 : for the data access (CRUD) operations
- BootStrap, CSS3 & JS: For the front end
- Other JS frameworks.